Thursday, May 6, 2010

Guest Post: Becka's Vancouver Guide



image from here

Hello! Becka of Bliss in a Teacup here popping in to share one of my favourite Vancouver spots with you, Rhizome. A New Zealand transplant, I've lived in Vancouver for a little over two years and one of the best things about this city is definitely the huge variety of amazing places to eat. Rhizome was one of the first places I spotted as it was right across from one of my bus stops, and who could resist that bright yellow exterior!


images from here & here

Not only is the food organic and fantastic (think breakfast polenta, amazing spicy tofu curry, miso rice bowls, giant sandwiches and mac 'n cheese. Oh, chi cake and wee chocolate cakes that ooze chocolate sauce when heated) and the coffee fairly traded, but it is hands down one of the most enjoyable places to hang out. They have worked really hard to foster community and support local social justice movements so there is almost always something going on, be it a reading of feminist poetry or a queer friendly evening of board games. There is a portion of the cafe that is open for community use, and one of my favourite meals there, the 'Lentils Are Everything' stew is priced 'pay as you feel'. Whenever I go there I don't feel like I'm just going to some restaurant, but I feel like I'm part of a community. I highly recommend checking it out, for a brunch of giant buttermilk pancakes, miso tofu scramble and roasted root veg or slow cooked organic oatmeal with dates if possible.

1 comment:

wishful nals said...

i sooo want to go to vancouver!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails